Skip to main content

Replay breakdown

Opening Sequences


  • What decision did I make?
    • What happened as a result?
  • What decision did my opponent make?
    • What happened as a result?
  • What is the meter situation on both sides at round start?  (if round 2 or 3)


Neutral

  • Am I maintaining optimal positioning to play out the neutral per the match-up?
    • Max dash throw range?
    • Max range where I can't be counter hit on whiff? etc.
  • Am I responding fast enough to whiff punish the opponent's choices?
  • What caused the situation that lead to me receiving large damage?
    • What could I have done different there to prevent damages?
  • Is the opponent playing out the match-up accordingly? Is there inexperience?
  • Is the opponent aggressive or passive? Or is there a blend of both?
    • Do they have a tendency to press buttons? Or not?
    • Do they have a specific spacing/range where they're forced to make a decision?
  • Am I playing with intent? 
    • Am I playing on auto-pilot?
    • How can I be more pro-active and focused in neutral?
  • Am I meter building offensively? or defensively?
  • Are they willing to let me take space?
    • How far are they willing to back themselves into a corner?
    • Did I make a mental note of the specific distance?
  • Did I punish the opponent's attempt at meter building?
  • What did I do to get in on the opponent?
    • Was it effective?
    • If not, What could I have done different?
  • What did the opponent do to get in on me?
    • What was my response? Did it work?
    • If not, what could have been done different?

Parry

  • Did I get hit going for an risky parry instead of blocking safely?
    • If I got the parry, did I punish properly?
    • Did it lead to a favorable situation? Did it lead to a round/game win?
  • Does the opponent prefer to parry in neutral? Or block more?
    • Are they punishing properly?
  • Does the opponent tend to leak post-parry to punish my parry punish?
    • Did I respond with blocking first before punishing?
  • Am I going for safe red parries in neutral? (Example: Fireballs)
    • Have I practiced the execution for these?
    • Have I figured out the max damage for these situations?

Jumping

  • Does the opponent like to Jump? Or not?
    • Do they vary where they jump from? Or not?
    • Do they vary their jump normal timings? Or not?
    • Are they occupied with trying to meet me in air-to-air scenarios?
    • Does the character they use have a short & tight jump or a longer one?
    • What jump normal do they favor? 
    • What other options do they have from a jump? (Example: Ibuki Kunai)
  • Does the opponent know the decision wheel behind jump-ins in 3s?
    • Do they empty jump parry more? Or less?
    • What do they do upon landing? Back dash? Throw? Lows? DP? Jump back HK?
    • Do I truly understand the counters to these decisions? Did I pick the correct one?
  • Am I responding to the opponent's jump-ins with varying forms of anti-air?  
    • If yes, did I get the max damage or did I go for a reset?
    • If no, How can I put myself in a better position to AA on reaction?
  • Did my choice of anti-air lead to receiving damage?
    • If so, which anti-air could have been better for the situation?
  • Am I jumping forward mindfully? Or mindlessly?
    • What is the reason for jumping? Did I read the opponent's AA choice properly?
  • Is the opponent anti-airing directly? Or passively?
    • If directly, max damage or strong positioning?
    • If passively, did this lead to a better damage opportunity, impending corner escape? etc.

Scrambles

  • What lead up to the scramble situation?
    • Was it something preventable?
      • How?
  • Who benefited more from the scramble?
  • What was gained from the scramble? Positioning? Damage? Meter Gain?

Resource Management

  • Am I utilizing meter relative to game state?
    • Is there any Unnecessary meter usage?
    • Would I have benefited from not using meter there?
    • What could I have done instead?
  • Am I recognizing DED opportunities?
    • Am I recognizing the opponent's DED opportunities?
    • If yes, what did I do?
  • How much damage/stun have I accumulated?
    • How much damage/stun has the opponent accumulated?
    • How do I adjust my gameplan? How does the opponent adjust?
  • Did I go for the max damage or max meter gain punish?
    • Was it the correct choice?
  • Am I meter building safely? 
    • Am I paying attention to the opponent's attempts to punish my meter building?
  • Did I change the gameplan per the meter state of my opponent?
    • Did the opponent change theirs per my meter state?
    • Is it the 2nd round or the 3rd round?

The Corner

  • What lead to me getting put into the corner?
    • Did I walk myself into the corner?
    • Did I get pushed to the corner via Knockdowns?
    • Did I jump back into the corner?
  • What did I do to put my opponent into the corner?
    • Was it a back throw from mid-screen?
    • Did I walk them down?
    • Did they jump back into the corner?
  • What is the opponent's response to throws?
    • Do they like to stand tech? Crouch Tech?
    • Do they press buttons in shimmy situations?
    • Do they jump away to escape?
    • Do they try to reversal?
  • What is the opponent's response to positive ticks?
    • Do they like to immediately press a button?
    • Do they back-dash? Jump? Throw? Guess parry?

Intercepting

  • Am I playing the intercept mix-up  properly? 
    • Am I standing at the optimal spacing to keep the opponent cornered?
    • Do I know the punishes in regards to the opponent's choices of escapes?
    • Am I ready to do them at a moment's notice?

Escaping

  • Am I escaping the corner safely?
    • Did I choose the right escape vs the opponent's intercept?
    • Did this choice lead to me receiving damage/stun?
      • Which decision would have been the correct one?
  • Do I know the various ways I can escape the corner?
    • Am I ready to do any of these choices at a moment's notice?
  • Did I figure out that the opponent is looking to intercept my escapes?
    • Did I make a note of where the opponent is standing at? 
      • Which escape are they looking for?
      • What is the best counter for their decision?

Individual

  • Was my execution on point?
    • Any missed confirms? dropped combos? missed parries?
    • How can I economize my inputs better?
  • Am I looking at the right part of the screen to see what's important?
  • Was there anything the opponent did that I could incorporate into my own play?
  • Did the opponent make a decision/read that was very effective?
    • What allowed them to infer this would be effective here?
  • Was there a situation that occurred that I've never dealt with before? 
    • How can I replicate it in training mode to defend against it?
  • Am I paying attention to the sound of meter acquisition?
  • Was I playing nervous? aloof? 
  • What did I learn from this win or loss?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sean vs. Gouki

Table of Contents Overview Close Range Mid-Range Far Range Okizeme Gimmicks Super-based strategy Hyper Tornado Hadou Burst Shoryu Cannon

Sean vs Chun-Li

Table of Contents Overview Close Range Mid-Range Far Range Okizeme Gimmicks Super-based strategy Hyper Tornado Hadou Burst Shoryu Cannon